Thursday, September 26, 2024

Pula: Roman Ruins, Shipbuilding and More

I arrived at the Pula bus station and walked about 6 minutes up a hill to meet my Airbnb host (she was adorable and so was her rental). My Airbnb had the cutest, most comfortable rocking chair (see photo) so if anyone knows where I can get it in the States, let me know. 

I need this chair in my life...

My Airbnb was 30 steps from the Amphitheater/Arena. There was a marathon or something going on that night so it was a madhouse and there was sound equipment and stuff everywhere so it ruined some of my photos. The Arena, built between 27 BC and 68 AD, is the only remaining Roman amphitheater to have four side towers entirely preserved and is among the world's six largest surviving Roman arenas. I’ll have to dig more into the history of this area later. I purchased a ticket to walk around inside and it was well worth it. Took some photos for a group of tourists and heard them exclaim, “ah, professional” as they left (you’re welcome). I believe they also have an underground tour for the Arena but I didn’t arrive in time for that. 


I walked up to the Kaštel (castle) and down to the Temple of Augustus and The Twin Gates. Had dinner at a Street Food joint and a glass of Refošk (red) wine which was excellent! 



I headed back to the Airbnb because I had to be down at the boat docks by 6:30am to check in for my high speed catamaran through Kapetan Luka to Mali Losinj (the tickets were VERY clear about needing to be there 30 minutes before departure). 


I was right on time the next morning, rewarded with a window seat, and was able to watch all the shipbuilding going on in the harbor - another “Pula” thing. But you gotta love the folks who roll to the port at 6:51 ( or even 6:59) when we were asked to arrive at 6:30 and are just strolling. We left some people behind because they were late!



I will definitely return to Pula. I love the vibe and I’d love to walk around more and get out to the Brijuni National Park where there’s a 1600 year old olive tree, dinosaur footprints, and a Byzantine castrum. There’s also a safari but it reminds me of an aquarium so I’m not sure I can get on board with that…

No comments:

Post a Comment